Sunday, January 22, 2012

Monsters



Halloween, I showed some work in Kenosha, Wisconsin at ArtWorks in their annual "Monster" art exhibit. As always, the show closing was extremely fun;

wild and creative costumes, delicious oversized cake (one year it was a life size mummy), caricature drawings, and amazing art to see. I again attempted to make myself into a bird. Not just any bird, but a phoenix (see blurry picture).



My monsters this year were not spilled ink. I haven't done much with the spilled ink lately but have been focusing on creating colorful illustrations. I really want to work with water colors and gouache lately so I worked my monsters with these mediums as well as water color pencils. I love working with water color pencils, it gives an unexpected dimension to the illustrations. I find comfort in success with the unexpected.



This guy is definitely broken hearted. Left in the dust with only the shadows of foot prints from his last significant other. I recently was left behind and broken hearted. However, creating this brought humor to the situation and I saw a glimmer of hope in the future.

The green goblin is a curious glittery critter. Again this too was created with gouache and water color pencil, a mixed media piece you could say. I always have fun creating monsters, and I love that this show is an annual opportunity for me to continue creating little monsters.


No comments: